Southern Style green beans with russet potatoes, smoked turkey, onions, garlic and red pepper flakes for a tad bit of heat. Cooked until tender! This recipe is budget friendly and can be stretch for a big family. These green beans and potatoes are a spectacular as a side dish or a full meal I have been making them for years in large quantities for special events or for my family. The smoked turkey wings make an excellent broth that is seasoned beyond words. Let the meat cook until it falls off the bone for the ultimate flavor, at least 2 hours.
Serves 4-6 Time 3 hrs
2 lb fresh green beans washed & trimmed
· 1 lbs smoked turkey wings and legs
· 5-6 cups of water
· 1 garlic clove
· 1 medium onion chopped
· 4-5 medium russet potatoes peeled & chopped
· salt and pepper
· 1/2 chicken bouillon cube
· red pepper flakes to taste
· 1 tablespoon butter
1. Start off by placing the smoked turkey, garlic clove, onion, into a large pot.
2. Pour water into the pot.
3. Let the turkey cook until it's nice and tender, then remove it from the pot. Be sure to NOT drain the liquid from the pot. We will use it! Note: Cook Time about 1-2 hours
4. Shred or dice up the turkey meat. Make sure to remove all the bones, and skin.
5. Now toss the fresh green beans, smoked turkey, into the pot with the liquid.
6. Sprinkle in the seasonings, and butter and stir the ingredients.
7. Cook for about 10 minutes, then add in the potatoes.
8. Cook until everything is nice and tender, or cook to your preference.